There are various factors you need to take into account if you’re thinking of painting your decks and gutters. This article highlights some of these factors you need to keep an eye out for to have your decks and gutters look fresh and brand new. Keep reading to know more!
Things to Consider Before Painting Decks & Gutters
1. Select the Appropriate Paint
The look of your deck will be determined by the paint you choose. There are many factors to consider while selecting the best deck paint. Here are some of them:
- Water-based or oil-based paints may not cling to PVC or vinyl.
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for the best results.
- If your deck is made of vinyl, consider applying a polyurethane finish. Polyurethane adheres to vinyl better and lasts longer than water-based paint.
- If you have already stained the deck, choose paint that will help maintain the wood grain.
- Color changes across your deck can be inconvenient. Choosing the wrong color can lead to inconsistent patterns across your deck, which can be a bit of an eyesore. So before deciding on a paint color, consult a professional and do extensive research on the options available to you.
Select High-Quality Brushes and Rollers.
Using high-quality brushes and rollers is critical when painting your decks, gutters, and other outdoor surfaces. Paintbrushes are available in various styles, sizes, and materials. You should choose ones that are appropriate for the scale of your project. Here are some things you need to keep in mind when doing so:
- Cheap brushes and rollers wear out very fast. Select rollers with a plastic cage and handle that can endure challenging work and are simple to clean.
- Rollers containing nap fibers or lint should not be used.
- Choose high-quality brushes and rollers that are the right size and form for the job. Paintbrushes are available in sizes ranging from one to four inches. Larger brushes can cover a larger area with fewer strokes, ideal for painting wide, flat surfaces like decks.
Avoid Painting on Hot or Humid Days
High humidity may wreak havoc on outdoor painting work as it may cause paint to dry slowly, resulting in streaks, fading, and poor adherence. Keep the following in mind when painting in extreme temperatures:
- Hot temperatures might cause hazardous substances to off-gas quicker than they can be absorbed.
- Painting outdoor surfaces should be done during the day. Painting in direct sunshine might result in excessive heat, so prepare ahead and check the weather forecast to avoid painting on such days. If you must paint under extremely hot weather, take frequent breaks and keep yourself well-hydrated.
Use As Little Paint as Possible
Painting can provide a final touch to exterior house modifications, but you don’t always have to paint in excess. The most crucial advice for painting decks and gutters is to apply the proper quantity of paint.
A generous amount of paint is frequently used while painting decks, even when it isn’t necessary. Let the first coat of paint dry on your deck before considering adding a second coat. If there is evident wear and tear in the application area, then apply the second coat.
Allow the Paint to Dry
While painting may seem like a relatively simple job, don’t be fooled. It can be quite tricky to manage if you don’t know what you’re doing. After you finish painting, you need to let the paint dry for a significant amount of time. The duration varies based on a lot of conditions.
Water-based paint can be diluted by moisture, so you may have inconsistent coverage across your surfaces. Similarly, moist wood will not retain the paint as well as dry wood.
Wait for 24 hours after painting your decks and gutters before walking across them. Otherwise, the paint job may flake off after two or three years.
Other Tips to Keep in Mind
Here are a few more things to consider before painting your decks and gutters:
- It would help if you chose a hue that suits the style of your property. While most homeowners desire white, you may add accents with another shade.
- Dark houses look excellent with light-colored gutters, so consider pastel shades when browsing through color options.
- Acrylic is the most delicate paint for metal gutters. This paint is available in satin or semi-gloss finishes. To guarantee complete coverage, apply two coats. Have a moist towel nearby to wipe away excess paint when painting your gutters.
- If you want to prime your gutters and decks, use a sprayer set to a low-pressure setting. Also, don’t forget to wear a respirator when doing so.
Painting your home’s exteriors can boost your overall curb appeal and add value to your property. It is also a great way to complement a recent interior remodel or new landscaping project.
Exterior painting is also a very extensive job that requires specific skill sets and resources to get the job done successfully. So while you may want to do it on your own, you could immensely benefit from consulting a professional painting contractor who has the right equipment and experience to execute the job. Professional painters know how to properly prepare surfaces, choose the appropriate supplies, and paint using tried-and-true processes.
Our talented team at Nashville Painting Company can bring your painting dreams to life. You can count on our expert painters to guarantee complete client satisfaction. They have years of expertise in painting residential and commercial structures and adhere to stringent processes on the job. Talk to them about any queries you have! Schedule a meeting with our team for a free in-home quote today!